Star Wars Weekend – Thursday (Expo day)

Despite not going to bed until 11:30 PM, my body woke up at 3:15 AM. Since I’m used to getting up about 6 AM, this was about right. I got up and used the bathroom and then tried to go back to sleep. I ended up just laying with my eyes closed resting. My mind wouldn’t shut off again. The alarms finally went off at 6 AM and I got up and got ready. We left the room about 7 and got breakfast in the hotel. I had a jelly bagel and some hot chocolate. Then we made our way to the Disneyland hotel to the race merchandise line. We read on the walk over that it was already building. When we got there, they had the line in a ballroom so it was out of the elements. We started the 5th row across.

They did have a big screen where they were showing the Star Wars movies. I ran into two ladies from the Glass Slipper Challenge group that I met at the meetup last time. I talked to them for a while. Then I waited in line. The hardest part was staying in one place. About 9:00 AM, they had us all stand up and get ready. One row at a time, they led us down to the main Expo area. We then lined up in the taped off floor area. We only waited about 10 minutes there before we went into the store area. To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the merchandise. I was not able to find any good shirts for my kids. I did get an I did it shirt for the rebel challenge in a women’s cut and a coast to coast shirt. Then we strolled around the rest of the Expo. We took one of the green screen pictures with props. The only thing I bought was some more Zenzah compression sleeves in a bright blue color. We also went downstairs to get our shirts.

First, I picked up my Wookie party and 4-day park hopper from GET travel.

Then I went and got my 5k bib and finally my rebel challenge bib.

After getting the Rebel challenge bib, you get your picture taken for facial recognition. They didn’t have me listed for any merchandise. So, after checking with the people, I had only preordered a jacket. I got in that line and only waited a few minutes.

Soon, I was getting my jacket. It was a nice black, fleece-lined one.

I loved that it said my the course be with you on the back.

We went back up to the main Expo area and picked up all our shirts.

We made one last pass through the Expo.

Then we went back to the room to drop off our stuff.

We went to the business center to print off our vouchers for the bookmarks. Since I hadn’t preordered a necklace, I was going to go back and get one later. We decided to eat lunch at ESPN since we heard they had storm trooper mugs and death star light up cubes. While walking there, I decided to sign up for the New Balance queue. Surprisingly, it was not yet filled up at 10:30 AM. I was advised my return time would be about 3:20 PM. The service at ESPN was rather slow. Once we ordered, it did come out relatively quick. I just got a cheeseburger with fries and a strawberry lemonade.

It hit the spot. We left and went to the parks. We did stop in one store on the way. We decided to go to DCA and visit the Frozen area.

We got into the park and Nicki went to get the photopass when I realized I had already gotten the page to return. It worked out since Nicki had been texting with a lady she picked up merchandise for earlier. We took some fun pictures by the Frozen sign, and then stopped for Oswald on the way out.

We walked back to the Expo and I went straight to the New Balance area. I got the Goofy shoes for myself and picked up last year’s Mickey shoes for my son. While I was there, Nicki got me the necklace. At check out, my card was declined. I realized I had forgotten to call and tell them I was travelling. I quickly got it okayed and then spent a little while on the phone making sure it wouldn’t get flagged again. In the meantime, Nicki went to meet the lady. When I was finally off the phone, we waited with Nicki and took a few pictures with the signs.

The lady finally showed up. Once Nicki was done with her, we went back to get our bookmarks. At that point, we decided not to walk all the way back to the hotel and went back to DCA. We got a medium sized locker and it was big enough for the 2 pairs of shoes. We walked over to Olaf’s area and the meet and greet was already closed.

So we went into the snow play area. The theming is great!

We decided not to wait to play in the snow, but Nicki did get an Olaf cupcake.

Before entering, we had gotten fast passes for the Sing a long.

It was time to head over. This is in the old Muppets theater. We were in the waiting area for about 15 minutes and then we went into the theater. The show was good, but I expected a little bit more.

Nicki did say she thought the one in FL was better. When we got out of there, they were opening the Olaf line again. So, we waited for a while and eventually got a pager. They told us it would be about 45 minutes. So, we went to the Animation Academy by cutting across the Pixar parade.

We only waited a few minutes before getting in. We got to draw Olaf’s head. In the middle (I’d say about 20 minutes after receiving it, the page starting going off. It was actually talking and saying Olaf is ready to meet you. The instructor said to sit on it and we wouldn’t hear it. All 3 of our drawing turned out good. From there, we went back to Olaf. There were only a few groups in front of us. We got Olaf to sign our pictures and then took some pictures.

His interaction was great! We decided to go back and chill in the room but did stop for Pluto pictures on the way out.

We stopped at Earl of Sandwich to get dinner to take back. I got a Chipotle Chicken Avacado sandwich. The sandwich was good, but spicy. I ended up only eating half because my body is so off schedule and I didn’t want to risk the spice. We all fell asleep for about 45 minutes before the alarm went off. We got up and put on our jackets for the Wookie Welcome Party.

After walking to the entrance, the line was long and snaking. Luckily we ran into friends who wanted to hear about our day. We got right into the park after showing our wrist bands.

The event was in Tomorrowland.

Upon entering, there was no wait for Astro Orbiters, so we jumped on those.

We saw the HUGE picture line for the droids. We decided not to wait. They had several stations with 3 different dessert (Chocolate Darth Vader cupcake, Rum ball, and Wookie sugar cookie). They also had lemonade, iced tea, coffee, and a selection of hot teas. I was a little disappointed there was no hot chocolate.

We wandered around and saw Chip and Dale leaving the DJ area. We also saw 2 more HUGE lines for Chewbacca and Star Wars Mickey and Minnie.

We decided not to wait in the picture lines and did the rides. We didn’t have to wait for any of them.

We rode Space Mountain, Astro Blasters, and Star Tours.

I hadn’t ridden Star Tours since they added the new movie options.

It was awesome! When we got out of Star Tours, we headed back to the DJ since he had announced something was happening at 11. It was a disappointing 10 minutes appearance by some rebels from the Clone Wars.

At that point, Chewy’s line was not so long, so we decided to wait. We finally got our picture about 11:20 PM. The interaction with Chewy was great, too!

At that point, we made our way back to the room. We got into bed and set our alarms for 4:15 to get ready for the 5k.

About kristincooke

I am a mother of 2 that started running in 2012. I also enjoy baking and some crafts.
This entry was posted in Running and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s